Chapter 3 - Whispers of Hope


Khushi sat at the steps to the university union, twirling a lone flower through her fingers, staring into space. It had been three days since that incident, Aryan had received a good telling off from Alisha but Khushi was still lost in thoughts of Arnav.

Alisha was at her vaccine appointment and Aryan had gone to enroll himself at the gym, Khushi hadn't felt like staying in her room alone and therefore accompanied them till the union and stayed back. She wanted to think through things in the open sun, she was basking in all its glory and it made her happy inside. After a week, staying away from family was taking a toll on her. Although she had talked to amma and babuji just the night before she missed them dearly. She felt lonely and lost and just wanted to go back, warm hugs from amma and babuji, one more taste of her ammas food. She was too lost in her own world when he came and sat next to her.

"I take it you always stare in to space randomly then," his husky voice broke her out of her trance. "Huh?" She blinked focusing her thoughts back to reality. He smirked at that, she liked the way one corner of his mouth twitched up and at the same time disliked how much such a small act severely affected the pumping ability of her heart. "Nothing, it's always a good day when I pass an almost insult and Khushi doesn't notice," he joked and watched as her lips slowly parted into a smile and she looked down. He had remembered her name, that evoked an unusual amount of joy in her. He was beginning to get worried now though, things were different with her today, something was wrong. "What's up?" He asked gently, surprising her once more. She looked at him confused and saw his face scrunched up in worry. This guy really was a total enigma. "Nothing, just missing home," she admitted, her voice heavy with sorrow. "I know it's stupid, like it was my decision to move away from family to find more independence. I wanted to move away and somewhere along the lines I had forgotten that there would be other feelings involved too. And that they wouldn't just affect me but my parents too." Her words came out quickly, she looked like she was on the verge of tears. "And now. Now all I want to do is go back. All the other students are going away this weekend and I realised that that's not even an option for me. I just really miss them. I, I..." She stopped realising that she had spoken a bit too much. She looked up to see his face again and was surprised to see how intently he was listening to her. "I'm sorry, I just completely bombarded you with my emotions there," she apologised. She hadn't been able to tell Alisha because Khushi knew she probably felt the same way and she hadn't intended on telling anyone else either. "It's okay, you needed to let it all out," he reassured her, smiling with his chocolate brown eyes. They had an intensity to them that she had never noticed before. "And trust me, you are not alone. Everyone goes through this process. It's because you've only been here a week. I would have felt the same way if I had had to move away from my hometown," he reassured her once more, placing his hand on her knee. Khushis heart started to gallop at his mere touch, she was now finding it a little difficult to breathe. "I'm sure you'll be okay in a few weeks time," he smiled. "Anyway, it's a sunny day and they only last a while here so I think you should enjoy it while it's there," he winked. "So want to go get like an ice lolly or something, I'm way too hot anyway." He stood up and attempted to lighten the mood. She smiled up at him, blinking and attempting to escape the rays of sunshine that now assaulted her view. "Sure! Ice cream always cheers me up!" She laughed.

Walking with him, their hands so close that they were almost touching, Khushi was surprised at herself. He was such a puzzle to figure out, but he made her feel different, he had offered her comfort when she needed it the most. This Arnav Singh Raizada really was a mystery. She risked a sideways glance at him and noticed his face scrunched into one of confusion, three lines had made their way onto his forehead and she had the impulse to smooth them out with a kiss. "Khushi! What the hell is wrong with you?" She stopped her mind. "Do you live in Glasgow then?" She slowly broke the silence, attempting to make conversation with a now very silent Arnav. "He turned his head, snapping out of his thoughts. "Erm yeah, I was born her," he replied, smiling slightly. "Oh that's good then you don't have to go through this whole deal of missing your family. I feel so envious now, " she added a slight smile playing on her lips. "Hmm," he nodded, not seemingly happy with that comment. "How much I'd love to just see them every single morning, I think that's what I miss the most you know. You are so lucky!" She continued, unaware of his face now clouding over with an emotion held deep within. "Do they make lunch and that for you?" She asked, now a bit too excited with this new found news, she attempted to find happiness in the fact that at least someone else she knew wasn't far from their family. "Erm, I don't live with my family," his reply came out quietly with an edge of sorrow. Khushi watched him with eyes wide in surprise as he stared off into the opposite direction, with his hands stuffed inside his pockets. They had stopped walking now. "But why? Like they live in Glasgow too right?" She quickly questioned. "Yeh," he replied quietly. "Then why?" She questioned again unable to comprehend why in the world anyone would want to live away from their family if they had the choice no to. "Err, I'd rather not talk about it," his voice came out an audible whisper, he was still looking away from her, unable to meet her eyes.
Khushi was confused now, she had just spilled out all of her emotions in front of him and he was now acting cold. "Besides, it's getting quite late, I forgot I had somewhere to go tonight," he said turning back to face her suddenly. "You look okay now, we'll get ice cream some other time, I'll see you around." He looked hurt in some sort of way, his face a mask of emotions. Khushi was taken back but even before she could form her words he had started to walk away.

He confused her to the core. One minute he was nice and charming her and the next minute he had turned into this cold person, shunning her off and walking away.

----

"What's up Khush?" Alisha lightly hit Khushi on the back whilst take a seat next to her on the bed. Alisha had noticed how quiet Khushi was. She'd barely uttered two words after Alisha returned from her vaccine appointment. "Huh?" Khushi looked up, not too sure if Alisha had even spoken. "I asked what's wrong?" Alisha now asked a bit louder. "Nothing," Khushi replied glumly and stood up to walk off. "Seriously Khush! There's defo something wrong with you! And you better tell me what it is!" Alisha was now angry. This had been happening a lot lately, at first she had dismissed it as being about that bastard James. Then she had thought it was because Khushi was missing her family, but now she wasn't so sure it was either of them anymore. "Nothing na. I told you," Khushi replied from the other end of the room, a bit louder now. "You have to tell me if there's something wrong. There's no point in keeping it to yourself," Alisha now spoke to Khushi with genuine concern. "Seriously Ishu! I'm fine," she smiled, "it's just homesickness," she lied. Alisha was okay with that response, at least it wasn't something else.

----

The next few days passed normally, friendly banter, a lot of sunshine and more random parties! And by then Khushi had pushed all past incidences completely to the back of her mind. Life was not about reveling in the past.

----

It was a bright early morning and Khushi was taking the park route to her first lecture. She loved the feel of the morning sunshine playing on her face and the fresh smell of flowers as they peaked out into the sun.

"Hey! Wait up!" He shouted and quickened his steps to catch up with her. "Felt like talking to me again then?" She snapped as soon as he had caught up, annoyance clear on her face. Arnav instantly understood why, looking back on the previous times conversation. "It was her own fault," he thought to himself, "over-excited about everything". He didn't reply though, he decided to let it pass, he'd only regret it later, he seemed to be doing a lot of that lately and it was extremely unusual for him.

They walked in silence for a while and then Khushi started to feel bad. He'd actually made an effort to come speak to her and she'd been harsh for no particular reason. After having thought over it for a long time she had come up with the conclusion that it was infact his personal life and he didn't need to tell her. At least he hadn't been rude about it. So she decided to restart the conversation.

"So lecture first?" She asked. "No, just heading over to the library. Thought I might as well make a start on my first assignment," he smirked. "First assignment? Already?" "Yehhh," he replied sheepishly, "we business students don't have the privilege of three assignments a year like you medics." She frowned at that. "How did you know I was a medic? And we have 9 to 5 days remember? Bet you don't get those?" She replied, her argumentative nature resurfacing. "Err because you are always around the medic building, don't get too happy, I haven't been stalking you," he smirked again. "And okay, whatever, it's still unfair you don't get assignments though." "Aw that's a shame I had your whole stalking fantasy drawn up in my mind as well," she laughed this time. He gave a small laugh in reply. "And may I know what that involved?" He asked turning towards her and raising an eye brow. "Well you know, the normal, following me home, watching me sleep through my window. Mostly watching me sleep." She winked. "Oh my god!" He exclaimed, "Seriously? Edward Cullen? Because I obviously sparkle in the sunlight too!" "Oh whatever! A girl can fantasise!" "Yeh about normal things!" He retorted shaking his head in amused disapproval.

And with that light-hearted conversation they hadn't even realised when they reached campus. "Well that's you then Bella Swan," he smiled stopping in front of her building, "I'll see you later," he turned around to walk off. "I'll be checking your eyes tomorrow!" She shouted to his retreating back. He turned around smiling, "I'll make sure I feed tonight then," he winked walking backwards and almost banged into a randomer. She laughed at his antics and walked into the building.

She liked spending time with him, he was so easy to talk to. She smiled to herself, sitting in the lecture hall. If anyone had noticed they would have taken her for a mad person. Khushi wanted things to continue like this, she liked this side of him....


Kyun raaton ko main ab chain se so na sakoon
Kyun aata nahi mujhe din mein bhi chain-o-sukoon
Kyun aisa hota hai main khud se hi baatein karoon
Kyun tu jo bole koi sune main hi sunu
Dil ye bekarar kyun hai
Ispe dhun sawaar kyun hai
Kyu hai ye khumaar kyun hia Tu Bataa.....

Tera intezar kyun hai 
Kyu hai ye khumar kyun hai tu bataa
Tu Bataa aa aa ...
Tu Bataa aa aa ...



Lyrics credit Dil Yeh Bekraar Kyun Hai, Players.




0 comments:

Post a Comment